Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

I'd like to live and work in Australia. I have American nationality,am a professional, I was born in Colombia, I look very European.What your experience was living in Australia ? were you looked down many times by rabid nationalists? I appreciate your help.



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

G'day,



I always like Kella's and Mouse's answers for this kind of questions.



Like Mouse, I am an immigrant from South-East Asia and have been living in Melbourne for over 16 years and never regret the move at all. I do not have Caucasian appearance, I speak English with an accent and I still feel like I am born in this country all along. My neighbors are combinations of immigrants and true blue Aussies and we are getting along very well. Racism will always be there in any country, but I definitely do not feel it here.



Unfortunately, there are some immigrants who prefer to stick to their own fellow-countrymen b'cos it is easier to speak in their mother-tongue and cultural similarity. Some even go as far as critising Australian ppl way of life which I dun think it is right, no matter how you want to see it.



As Kella %26amp; Mouse said... learn what Australian do, but of course it does not means that you have to go home drunk every night for having too much good time with your mates in the pub/bar ;)



I would also suggest for you to come for a holiday and spend abt 2weeks here, visit some of the capital cities and see yourself different aspect of life in different cities, so you can pretty much have a better picture of life in Australia.



Good luck and welcome to Australia.



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

I have only been to Sidney once but have done a lot of traveling. especially in Europe. And almost always there is at least one or two Australians on tour. It is not that they want to leave so badly, they just seem to be very interested in other people and other countries----never met such a people friendly country.



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

No mate you will be welcome to our country,what gets up our noses are the small minority that try and change our way of life.I am Australian,I grew up in a community that housed European people who migrated to Australia and a lot of us became very good friends.



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

Referring to "Rabid Nationlists" (or holding on to the premise that "the best defence is a good offence) sounds a teeny bit paranoid and is probably not the best way to win friends and influence people downunder.LOL



There are bigots in every country. Ignorance is not exclusive to one race, color or creed.



Australia is no exception, but mostly you will find us friendly %26amp; welcoming. We are one of the most multicultural nations in the world and we embrace that enthusiastically, enjoying the many benefits it brings..



We love our country and we love our cultural diversity. The welcome mat is out for anyone who wants to be a part of it and treats our lifestyle with respect. - Come on down!



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

If you adapt to us instead of expecting us to adapt to you, you will do just fine.



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

You just have to remember you are in Australia not America and you will fit in just fine.



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

Racism is everywhere in the world and you will find some here in Australia as well.



But generally - Australians are very welcoming. There are a lot of different nationalities living here and Australians don't care what colour you are - as long as you treat other people the same way you want to be treated, you will be fine. (and when I say "Australians" I do not mean "white people" I mean EVERYONE)



One warning - Aussies have a sarcastic sense of humour. Someone may say something to you which you might think it is offensive - but it could be a light hearted comment. That is something you will have to get used to. It is Australia culture.



DO NOT expect the culture here to change to suit you. You are coming here - you have to change to suit it. Australians are very accepting but what we don't like are people who come here and then complain (and whinge and whine) that it is not like back home or how this is better back where you came from.



I have lived here for over 30 years and I don't think I have ever experienced racism. I am of Asian origin.



Hope this helps



Have you lived in Australia ? is there a lot of xenophobia, bigotry ?. I plan to live there.?

Mate, come on over.



Do you like a cold one??

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting talk